Well, here it is everyone. The rumors can finally be put to rest: Sony's Smash Bros is on its way, and it is called Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.
From GTTV, we discovered several new details (Please keep in mind, this was the firs time it was shown and played so there are still alot of things that need to be ironed out...):
- The Roster will consist of "two decades of characters". So far, this includes Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Fat Princess, Sly Cooper, Radec (Killzone), and even PaRappa the Rapper. They also confirmed that there will be 3rd party characters in the game as well, so that means, we could be seeing many more people being added (You thought Snake, didn't you?)
- The stages in game are a mix of two games: Ratchet's Captain Qwark goes up against the Hydra from God of War (to no success), Hades fights the players as Patapon characters are in the background, and finally a LittleBig Planet stage is made as you fight on it, and when it is done, Buzz comes on stage and starts asking questions. There is also a stage that mixes Jak and Daxter with Hot shots Golf, but I couldn't figure out a clever enough joke for it.
- The game will feature super meters. What was shown tonight was the level 3 of Kratos (dons the Armor of Ares and grows big as he uses the Blade of Olympus), Radec (Dons a jetpack as he goes into the foreground to shoot down the enemies. Kind of like Snake's Final Smash), and Sweet Tooth (uses Sweet Tooth's transformed ice cream truck to attack). In Gametrailer's first take, it was confirmed that Sly Cooper's Level 3 is where Sly takes pictures of the opponents and a pretty obvious one from Fat Princess (summons her army to attack). For the last character, Parappa has something of a full screen KO, where he goes into his rap, just like in his games. As you probably figured out, there will also be level 1 & 2 attacks as well, such as Sweet Tooth using a missile, Kratos summoning a tornado, Parappa on his skateboard or Murray belly flops on Sly's opponent.
- From the first impressions on gametrailers: they only way you can actually KO characters is through the Super meter attacks. You pretty much charge your meter through attacks, and when the metal gets high enough, you can launch a special attack that can KO enemies. An interesting take... Another to add to this is how during the fight, you can also take the meter away from your opponent and use it for yourself, such as Sly, who can use Stealth to steal the ability orbs away from the opponent.
- For controls, there is no "Smashing" motions. Rather there is a Light, Medium, and Heavy/Special attack button. Alongside with that there will also be an a focus on "Combos", something in which Smash Bros doesn't focus on as much. Also apparently you grab opponents with the right stick and everyone has a unique guard ability (Sly can't guard, but he can turn invisible and can play a "Keep-Away" game)
- The game is set to be out this Holiday Season
While we know six characters, it turns out there were many others we didn't hear from. There was no mention of Drake, Cole, Ratchet, Jak, Sackboy, Nariko, or any other PS mascots that were shown in the picture up top. Granted that this game is still well in development, so chances are we won't see more playable characters until E3 (which I'm sure will be shown during Sony's conference). Another interesting thing to think about is that greatest sony commercial ever (I need to edit this commercial to have my face on it ^_^).
Now, everyone was making that speculation that this commercial was going to be a prologue to this game, could that mean we could be seeing Ezio, Lightning, those guys from Army of two, Chell, Paul from Tekken, Issac from Dead Space, The Big Daddy? Again, might be overthinking this, but hey, who knows? We could be in for a few surprises.
Will Sony's answer to Smash Bros be a success? Will there be as much hype for All Stars Battle Royale as there was for Brawl? Time will tell...
The Road to E3 just got longer...
If you'd like to watch the episode, here's the link: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/...rs-tv/152?ch=1